Friday, October 30, 2009

Forza 3 + A little dirt 2 rant to keep it entertaining.

Just got myself a copy of Forza 3 today. skip to "End dirt 2 rant" if you just want to read about Forza.

Personally Forza's presentation really does it for me (on top of the stuff I've listed below), it presents motor sports the way they should be presented, with respectability and prestige Not "YO DIS SHIT LIKE fAST AND DA FURIOUS YO! We b LIKE HAVING A BLOCK PARTY AND THEYS BITCHS ALL ROUDN" I've been to car meets. Unless incredibly attractive women are showing their cars, are there with their boyfriend, or being paid as a car models..They're absent.

By the way...Codemaster...Dirt 2? what the hell was that? Thats a perfect example of abandoning motor sport's pretense of respectability and giving way to skater culture and FnF block party-ism, let alone corporate sponsors that don't really have shit all to do with the game or subject. Yes, I know DC shoes sponsors drivers, but still, I do a lot of driving, skateboard shoes aren't really a good shoe to drive in. Also with the dumb emo-punk sketch art and stupid type font, I felt like Avril Lavigne was going to pop out and try to sell me a camera....

The other drivers... well I'm a long time rally fan, when things go bad in rally races you don't exactly hear "oh well...teehee guys, I guess I'm out." or in an occasion where two vehicles contact, "Dude, that like should not have happened" Codemasters, I want to hear German profanities extrude from the cockpit, not some pussy with his hat on sideways tell me I shouldn't have done that. And yeah...if they hit into you, they blame you for it. Dicks! put your hat on straight and "pull up your fucking pants!" - Dennis Leary.

---End dirt 2 Rant

Forza 3 review sans ranting:

I have to say I'm really impressed, Forza 2 became really tedious to play after awhile, it felt like I raced that "death adder" (or whatever the hell it was called) track about 30 times before I had the money to buy an soup up a faster car.....then I entered a new tournament and it had the death adder as the first race....wooo.

Graphically:

Visually Forza 3 is phenomenal. I would post some pics, but I'd recommend using google, try and find some nice big screenshots of it, that will give you the idea. (by the way, the game doesn't look so pretty on non HD TVs, keep that in mind).

Forza 3 seems to have a bit more variety of tracks, even in the early tournaments you enter. Naturally you start out with crappy cars (they make you choose a little low HP commuter hatchback right after giving you a nice introduction race with an Audi R8)
But before long you can afford a nice semi sports car and mod its ass inside and out.

Modify!:

Modification options in Forza 3 are incredible! Engine swaps, aspiration changes and even drive train swaps ( Rear wheel drive Type R mmmmm). Of course in addition all the other usual things, Air intake, exhaust, cams etc.

And when you buy performance parts for the car, you can custom set almost everything, even the tire pressure. Nice touch, might be a bit difficult for people that aren't all that into cars and tuning, but they have explanations of gearing, lowering, etc. Take the time to read them if you don't know what you're doing.

Cars:

A good library of cars is contained in Forza 3. I was expecting more (especially since you need to install about 2 GB of data to your HDD if you want the stuff on disc 2) But theres enough that you can find your niche, and they have Grand Nationals...and that just kicks ass. there are SUV's for some retarded reason... Sure SUVs are the flavour of ass wipes with way too much money, and they haul a good ass off the line, but seriously? Rally I can understand SUVs, but circuits + SUV = really lame.

Skill level:

Difficulty of the game is very customizable. A lot of assist options are given to the player, most of which are annoying as hell for seasoned racing game veterans. I started to get really pissed on the first race when my car was breaking for me like...it was actually breaking itself, which threw me off because I like a little slide in ma driving. But a trip to the assists menu can change all that and you can adjust the game to your skill level.

Bottom line:

A great racing title with lots to do. It will keep you busy till Gran Tourismo 5 comes out...or also when GT 5 comes out in case it sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment